How Your Retina Specialist Can Help with Age Related Eye Diseases
Submitted by Elman Retina Group on May 31, 2016
Are you getting older and are concerned about your vision? Whether you are starting to have symptoms of an age-related eye disease or you want to keep your eyes as healthy as possible as you age, our ophthalmologists at Elman Retina Group can help.
Common Age-Related Eye Diseases
Seniors over the age of 60 are especially susceptible to eye disease. Some of the most common age-related eye diseases include:
- Age-related macular degeneration – an eye disease that causes loss of central vision
- Cataracts – when the lens of the eyes becomes cloudy and interferes with vision
- Diabetic retinopathy – damage is caused to the blood vessels in the retina of those with diabetes
- Glaucoma – when the optic nerve becomes damaged and results in vision loss, especially peripheral vision
Other age-related eye diseases include dry eye, retinal detachment, corneal disease, temporal arteritis, and presbyopia.
Symptoms of Age-Related Eye Diseases
Some age-related eye diseases, like glaucoma, have no symptoms. This is why it is important for aging adults to stay up to date on their routine vision examinations. The earlier eye disease is detected, the easier it is to be treated. It’s important to make an eye appointment with our ophthalmologist at the Elman Retina Group serving Rosedale, Glen Burnie and Pikesville if you are experiencing any of the following symptoms:
- Spots or floaters in the field of vision
- Sudden eye pain
- Double vision
- Blurry vision in one or both eyes, especially sudden blurred vision
- Blind spots
- Irritation or scratchiness of the eyes
Our highly trained ophthalmologist and retinal specialist, Dr. Elman, has specialized training to diagnose and treat problems having to do with the back of the eye. We can offer a comprehensive evaluation, expert treatment, ongoing follow-up, education, and rehabilitation.
Contact Our Ophthalmologists Today
Are experiencing any of the above symptoms or do you have other concerns about age-related eye disease? If so, contact Elman Retina Group today at 410-686-3000. In order to better serve you, we have three locations including Rosedale, Glen Burnie, and Pikesville.